BMJ Score: 4
Quick Summary1,379 crypto investors read this
CommentaryRemember, since we’re talking DIGITAL money here, these aren’t your everyday cash dispensing machines. Instead, Trilliant is creating its machines to do everything but -- as the nodes on an infrastructure that would allow consumers to buy, sell, and transfer cryptocurrencies. ATMs could stand as a viable alternative to exchanges, which have so far been distressingly vulnerable. Our cautions come in a pair of points. One, three rivals already dominate the market. Two, since there’s nothing physical here, aren’t these transactions going to take place on smartphones?
- How to invest: In order to participate in the token sale, you must register on the Trilliant website via this link.
- Discount: 15% July 10th – 20th; 10% July 21st – July 31st; 5% August 1st – August 10th
- Eligibility: Citizens from the following countries are not allowed to participate in the Trilliant token sale: Peoples Republic of China, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, and the U.S (unless accredited). Trilliant will be offering accredited contributors the chance to invest using fiat currency.
- Token Price: The price of the TRIL token during the presale and main sale is 800 per 1 ETH. Fractional Units start at $100, meaning the minimum investment would also be $100.
- Jurisdiction: Switzerland
- Problem addressed/solved: Trilliant not only wants to give everyone access to purchasing cryptocurrency safely and securely, but they also seek to create the next generation of cryptocurrency ATMs to enhance and build upon previous models. Very few companies are working on the infrastructure for the future of cryptocurrencies. Trilliant is ahead of the curve in the sense that they are working on a future-oriented service in anticipation of the day when cryptocurrencies become more mainstream. That being said, their success will be contingent upon mass adoption of cryptocurrencies, which is something no one can predict at this point.
- Target customers/customer/ segments/verticals: Trilliant wants to give anyone and everyone access to purchasing cryptocurrencies. Cryptocurrency ATMs offer even the newest members of the crypto community easy access to purchasing and investing in the “currency of the internet”.
- Value creation: The Trilliant ATMs create value in that they come standard with two-way money handling, meaning that all the machines have both pay-in as well as payout options for fiat currencies. Plus, users will be able to invest in a variety of altcoins along with ongoing ICOs. Trillium is creating the infrastructure so that it is easier for individuals to buy and sell crypto without relying on exchanges. This is very interesting as exchanges have been subjected to scrutiny following hacks and consistently poor user-friendliness.
- Competition: On a worldwide level, three bitcoin ATM producers dominate the market: Genesis Coin (the largest with approx. 800 ATMs), General Bytes (700), and Lamassu (300). According to Trilliant, their ATMs will have features that the larger producers don’t. For example, they will offer a state-of-the-art technology that includes the ability to participate in ongoing ICOs at the ATM terminal. Trilliant looks to use their new tech to separate them from the competition.
- Market size/potential: There are less than 3,300 dedicated cryptocurrency ATMs in the world today. Although that may not seem like much, the rate at which more ATMs are being installed is increasing every day. Over eight crypto ATMs are installed per day and that number is expected to increase. The market is small but shows a promising future.
- Regulatory risks: The Trilliant team based their operations out of Zurich, Switzerland, a country currently favorable on the regulatory front. However, because Trilliant exists in the realm of financial services, significant regulation is likely to apply as the ATMs go mainstream.
- Substitution: Individuals currently leverage exchanges for crypto buying/selling. However, exchanges are difficult to use and prone to hacks. ATMs could offer a more user-friendly option.
- Trilliant doesn’t exactly solve an existing problem but is focused on providing the technology for the future of a smart economy. The competition in the crypto ATM market is stiff mostly due to the semi-monopoly created by the top three producers. As far as the market size goes, it’s certainly insignificant but could make some huge strides in the coming years. For these reasons and the ones stated above, Trilliant gets a Market Data score of 4.0.
- Investor value: Investing in TRIL tokens lets you enjoy priority when purchasing Trilliant Fractional Ownership Units, cover transaction fees at a significant discount when using Trilliant ATMs, access discounts when getting units on the Trilliant website, and own a limited token that could see an increase in demand and decrease in supply.
- Disclosures: Trilliant has a unique “fact sheet” and informative whitepaper. The roadmap could use a little more concrete information so that investors know exactly when and how the ATMs will be implemented. Trilliant expects to have 500 ATMs manufactured and functioning by end of 2019 with at least 50 running by end of Q3 2018.
- Token distribution: On top of the tokens sold, the following number of tokens will also be created: +20% management and founders. +4% advisors, +1% airdrop, +1% wings.ai, +1% DCorp.it.
- Use of proceeds: All of the funds raised during the presale and main sale will go toward manufacturing and operating newly designed cryptocurrency ATMs that will include technology designed to separate Trilliant from the competition.
- Soft cap: 2,500 ETH Hard cap: 40,000 ETH
- Trilliant ensures investor confidence by providing an informative whitepaper along with a Token Fact Sheet. Having said that, they allocated an additional 20% of tokens created to the team, meaning however many tokens are sold during the presale, an additional 20% will be created for the team to keep. For these reasons and the ones stated above, Trilliant receives a Transparency score of 3.5.
- Track record: Trilliant’s CEO, Sebastian Korbach, is a serial entrepreneur with over 15 years of experience in financial markets and payments. He also has previous cryptocurrency /blockchain experience from his time as a financial advisor for Stockchain. The CTO, Younes Kalakhi, has worked on projects with Korbach in years prior, serving as an IT consultant and experienced developer. Kalakhi also happens to be an early investor in bitcoin. Additionally, Trilliant boasts some of the most well-known industry experts as advisors, including Gladius, Wings, Stockchain and Cashcloud as well as individuals Ori Levi, Frank Bonnet, Mike Balagna, and Jamie Lewis.
- Integrity: The Trilliant team is small but extremely capable. Nearly all of them have prior startup experience accompanied by years of knowledge in their respective fields.
- Trilliant has a tight-knit group of experienced professionals. A smaller team can often mean faster decision-making, which leads to more forward progress. The CEO that leads Trilliant has a combination of both entrepreneurial and blockchain experience. For these reasons and the ones stated above, Trilliant gets a Management score of 4.5.
- Sebastian Korbach, Founder & CEO (LinkedIn)
- Andrei Zernov, COO (LinkedIn)
- Bruno Rovarotto, Designer (LinkedIn)
- MVP: The first prototypes of the ATMs will not be produced until October of 2018.
- Token use case: The Trilliant token represents fractional ownership in the Trilliant Crypto ATMs. They’re using the tokens as a tool to raise funds for the project. Individuals can purchase ownership units and the tokens (TRIL) will be used for covering transaction fees charged at the ATM terminals as well as purchasing units of the ATM ownership program. Thus, there will be a consistent demand for the token.
- Value-added: The Trilliant team is launching an ICO because manufacturing crypto hardware and setting up a network of cryptocurrency ATMs is a costly process. The processing fee to use the ATMs will require TRIL tokens, which should ultimately add value.
- Token Supply: The theoretical maximum amount of TRIL tokens that could be created during the token sale is approximately 48 million, but Trilliant expects the final amount of tokens to be somewhere around 35 to 40 million.
- The Trilliant project differs from other ICOs because their token acts more as a security than a utility token. Therefore, the true value comes from whether or not people choose to use the Trilliant ATMs over the competition. The token design does give investors the unique ability to simply purchase during the ICO and wait for their share of the profit to filter through. For these reasons and the ones stated above, Trilliant receives a Token score of 3.5.
- Technical difficulty/investment expertise needed: The Trilliant mission is plain and simple: crowdfund with a security token and use those funds to build/implement cryptocurrency ATMs, In turn, those ATMs which will be much more user-friendly than cryptocurrency exchanges, which should boost the adoption of the ATMs in the long run.
- Halo effect: Trilliant boasts that they’re partnered with some of the leading experts in the cryptocurrency community. Some of these partners include CashCloud, DCORP, and Stockchain. Although these names are recognizable in the crypto community, the average investor would not know these partners.
- Buzz: Low buzz is coming from Trilliant. Their Facebook and Twitter accounts are lacking in followers and engagement. Having said that, they list over 18 different sites such as Bitcoin Magazine, Top ICO List, and ICO Ranker that have featured their project.
- Trilliant has a clear objective and supplements their efforts with help from a few different partners. Their low buzz does diminish their value a bit since media attention means a lot to new projects. For these reasons, Trilliant receives a score of 4.0.