BMJ Score: 3.9
Quick Summary51 Investors read this
CommentaryWe are impressed with this US-patented solution from a company that has been around for six years. Their platform aims to transform the future of logistics by cutting out the middlemen who charge significant fees, creating higher prices for consumers. Decentralized connectivity and tracking keeps track of goods, and provides proof of pickup and delivery. LaneAxis is backed by analytics to optimize delivery and travel routes to spur on efficiency. This is a perfect use case for blockchain, and we are very impressed with their patented solution. The team is large and the advisor board is impressive with logistics veterans and skilled blockchain developers. We are excited that there is a working MVP. Finally, LaneAxis has a large online presence and encourages individuals to visit them to learn more. They have received substantial praise from Forbes and the Ethereum Foundation, and we agree that LaneAxis is an established company providing a necessary solution to shippers and carriers.
- How to invest: To participate in the token sale, you must first register at the following link.
- Discount: Presale is currently live with a 20% bonus and will have a 1% decrease in bonus every day.
- Eligibility: To be eligible to participate in the Token Sale, you must: (a) Be at least 18 years of age; (b) Not be a citizen or a resident (tax or otherwise) of the United States of America, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or a citizen or resident (tax or otherwise) of any country or territory where transactions with digital tokens and/or digital currencies are prohibited or in any other manner restricted by applicable law.
- Token Price: 1 AXIS (presale) = $0.18
- Payment Accepted: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, and Ripple
- Problem addressed/solved: Goods are sent by the shipper to their destination via contractual carriers. This matchmaking of shippers and carriers is currently being performed by intermediaries who charge up to a 30% commission. This is bad for the industry, bad for consumers, and bad for the overall economy. It’s also an elongated process that doesn’t have the security and transparency that blockchain can provide.
- Target customers/customer/ segments/verticals: LaneAxis will be a platform utilized by individual truckers and their associated trucking companies. The smaller truck companies are the ones who could use LaneAxis the most (97% of truck companies are small and independent).
- Value creation: LaneAxis is harnessing the power of the blockchain to connect shippers directly to carriers, cutting out expensive intermediary freight brokers who charge up to a 30% commission. The LaneAxis platform enables shippers and manufacturers to keep track of transported goods in real-time via GPS-enabled devices. All critical milestones and documents in the transportation lifecycle - from proof-of-pickup through proof-of-delivery - are stored in the blockchain's immutable ledger.
- Competition: LaneAxis has a handful of direct or semi-direct competitors in the freight tracking software space. All offer some form of GPS-based freight tracking and data reporting, along with integration into ELD/TMS systems. Their main advantages include the blockchain, shipper to carrier direct model, pricing, tech, focus on the forgotten market, and a virtual marketplace. More details can be found in the white paper on page 26.
- Market size/potential: There are over 800,000 trucking companies in US, which adds up to roughly 5 million trucks on the road daily. According to the American Trucking Associations’ (ATA) US Freight Transportation Forecast to 2027, overall annual freight tonnage is expected to grow by a total of 35% between 2016 and 2027, with the amount of freight moved by trucks expected to grow 27% during that period. Research firm Frost & Sullivan estimates trucking-focused apps could become a $35.4 Billion Market by 2025, with 90% of the logistics industry being comprised of smaller independent companies that own six trucks or less.
- Regulatory risks: The transportation industry has its own set of regulations, some of which include monitoring emissions, wage regulations for drivers of trucks, and safety of employees. LaneAxis does not directly hire or supply trucks/drivers, so they will be exempt from these. They will, however, have to ensure they are securing all sensitive data for tracking as well as carrier logistic information. LaneAxis is making it easier for trucking companies to follow and abide by harsh government regulations through their virtual freight management solution.
- Investor value: The AXIS token’s intrinsic value is tied to its function as a digital utility token, granting token holders access to a wealth of data, a secure way to conduct business, as well as multiple other functionalities which will only be available via the usage of the tokens.
- Disclosures: LaneAxis goes above and beyond to disclose their project. They have a whitepaper and technical whitepaper for those investors who want to understand the more technical aspects of how the platform will actually function. LaneAxis also has a patent granted around Real-Time Shipper-Carrier Optimization Platform with a link to the document on the site. Having said that, their FAQ section doesn’t seem to actually have answers to the questions, which is strange.
- Token distribution: Pre Sale 25%, Public Sale 20%, Team 10%, Bounties 3%, Reserve 17%, Logistics Community 10%, and Private Sale 15%.
- Use of proceeds: Lane Axis does not have a specific breakdown as to how they’ll use the proceeds, but they do give a rough idea as to what the funds will help them accomplish. The proceeds of the TGE are intended to be used for the ongoing development of the Platform and LaneAxis, as well as Axis Token International’s and LaneAxis’ ongoing expenses, reimbursement of expenses incurred by Axis Token International and LaneAxis in connection with the preparation for the TGE, creation of the AXIS Tokens and other expenses of Axis Token International and LaneAxis incurred in connection with the development of the platform.
- Caps: Soft cap: 2 million AXIS tokens; Hard cap: 300 million AXIS tokens
- Track record: LaneAxis has a deep team of 20 members and 11 advisors. Many employees on the team worked for the former blockchain project Budbo. Rick Burnett (CEO) previously founded Budbo Inc., a global blockchain-based immutable ledger with a built-in utility token for the entire cannabis network. Rick spent 15 years researching and developing a mobile-based platform that provides real-time tracking and data analytics over freight movements. His in-depth work experience was a major driver in the granting of their patent. The trucking expertise comes primarily from Matt Guinn (VP of Trucking Operations). He has two decades of experience in the freight logistics industry, including 10 years in sales and marketing at Progressive Transportation Services.
- Integrity: Since LaneAxis has a lot of members who worked with the Budbo project, it’s safe to say there’s going to be solid chemistry on the team. Furthermore, the team has relevant experience in both trucking and blockchain, an ideal combination for a blockchain solution for the trucking industry.
- Rick Burnett, CEO (LinkedIn)
- Amarpreet Singh, Senior Blockchain Engineer (LinkedIn)
- Clint Johnson, VP of Sales (LinkedIn)
- MVP: The LaneAxis app beta version is available on both the Apple and Google Play store. It can be downloaded on any smartphone and has most of its intended functionality.
- Token use case: The AXIS token fuels the LaneAxis platform by facilitating and securing business transactions between shippers and carriers. Functioning as an API access key, the AXIS token will serve a wide variety of purposes, including accessing data on the blockchain, initiating transactions and contracts, and rewarding system participants.
- Value-added: The AXIS token is the key mechanism providing users independent access to all immutable data and business intelligence stored on the LaneAxis blockchain. In other words, it’s required to access the LaneAxis platform and perform all functions within the blockchain. This ensures that every action is tracked and transparent on the blockchain.
- Decentralization: LaneAxis will be built on Ethereum, a decentralized platform for applications that run exactly as programmed without any chance of fraud, censorship, or third-party interference.
- Token Supply: 500 million AXIS tokens
- Technical difficulty/investment expertise needed: The LaneAxis mission has a clear and relevant goal in the freighting industry. It does not require particular expertise to understand this project, but a basic knowledge of blockchain surely helps.
- Halo effect: LaneAxis has formed a strategic partnership with Budbo, which is actually the initial startup they created to practice building a proper blockchain. It’s difficult to say whether or not their relationship with Budbo is really a partnership or… something else. Their roadmap states: “Formed Budbo Inc. (Budbo.io) ■ Q2 ‘17 Formed Blockchain Team for Budbo and LaneAxis ■ Q3 ‘17 Launched Budbo.io, LaneAxis team assessing blockchain industry needs.”
- Buzz: LaneAxis has some top notch featured articles from Forbes and the San Diego Businesses Journal, but their social media presence is lackluster to say the least. They only have 7,700 Telegram members and a combined 1,800 Facebook and Twitter followers.